Out of School
The Malone Out of School Program is designed as a fun, safe, and enriching environment where students can further develop academic and social skills, while still exploring their interests. Our youth staff provides students with encouragement, mentorship, accountability, and opportunities for personal growth.
Program staff provides Trauma-informed care to best serve the students. We assist children in learning competent and appropriate social-emotional behaviors as part of our classroom community. Each students development and learning are guided by ongoing developmental assessment data and various experiences designed to expose them to opportunities they may not otherwise have access to.
The Malone out-of-school hours are 3 pm – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday. Our summer program months are from June to August. The after-school program picks children up at school daily and brings them to Malone. This is offered at 13 local LPS schools. This program is for school-age youth ages 5-12.
Services offered during afterschool programming:
- Homework help will be offered to ensure the youth are successful in school and supported outside of school.
- Communication activities to increase their self-perception, self-confidence, and self-esteem.
- College Planning
- Entrepreneurship programming for youth who may not attend college.
- Mentorship and volunteer opportunities Improved social skills: Several evaluations have found that students participating in afterschool programs see improvements in their ability to interact with others. They will gain enhanced social skills.
- TCA: Million Girl Moonshot – Inspires and prepares the next generation of innovators by engaging one million girls in STEM learning opportunities through afterschool and summer programs.
- The Bay – Provides opportunities for our kids to explore skate boarding, digital art, and e-sports.
- Math Motivators – Provides help with homework and math tutoring for students 3rd-8th grade.
- Art Bus LNK – Malone students attended weekly classes to create art and explore careers in art.
- Flying Classroom: STEM+ Aviation – 13 week virtual program that connects STEM activities to everyday life. It provides hands on activities and lessons based on the global expeditions of Captain Barring Irving.
- Peer Group – All children at Malone, Kindergarten-8th grade participate in age-appropriate group therapy. The groups are led by Malone’s on-site therapist Lawrence Gardiner. These groups work to empower Malone kids with knowledge, skills, and resources to better themselves and others.